Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pinecones?

1 May 2007 – Just when I think there cannot be much more to write about the dogs, they do something new and outrageous. I keep thinking, “Well, the dogs are settling into a routine and other than just being terribly cute and funny there probably won’t be much more to add to the Jack Diaries.” So today Kent tells me that the dogs’ new game is to go into our bedroom, pull the handmade quilt off of the bed, drag it into the living room, and play tug of war with it. I asked him to please keep the bedroom door closed to prevent damage to the quilt.

So tonight I’m cooking dinner and the dogs are underfoot, watching my every move so they can snatch any morsel of food that drops on the floor. They are looking at me with such longing and hungry looks that I begin to wonder if Kent has fed them or not. I am sure that he has, but then again, those big brown eyes are so convincing. I give in and call him. Sure enough, he has fed them. Soon after the phone call I hear an odd crunching noise coming from the living room. I quietly sneak in there to see where the noise is coming from. I find Chloe sitting on the carpet chewing on a pinecone. I tell her it has to go back outside and I pick it up and throw it out onto the back lawn. Jack runs out and retrieves it like it is some sort of special treat. Chloe finds another pinecone and they both sit out there on the lawn crunching away on their pinecones. They both look up at me with their big brown eyes as if to say, “See, we are so hungry we are eating pinecones. Don’t you feel sorry for us? Won’t you feed us?”

No comments: