25 May 2007 - I took the dogs with me to our family cabin on the Yuba River in Washington CA - Upon arrival at the cabin I let the dogs out on the river porch. They paced back and forth on the deck and seemed anxious to explore. I let them out the front door and they immediately headed down for the water. I let them go and brought a few things into the cabin from the car. I then grabbed the leashes and headed down to the water.
The dogs were having a grand time hopping around from rock to rock, investigating scents, and wading in the water. Neither one of them has the least bit of reluctance regarding going in or near the water.
After we’d spent a few minutes at the river I decided it was time to head back up to empty out the car. I headed towards the stairs and called the dogs. They came, but chose a different route. They came straight up the hill to the left of the stairs. When I reached the top of the metal stairs, I called them, managed to grab them, put the leashes on them, and we went back into the cabin. I finished emptying out the car while they stayed in the cabin or on the river porch.
In the early evening I knew they must need to go out to go to the bathroom. At home we just open the sliding glass door and they go out into the back yard and do their thing. But here there is no fenced area to let them out into. Plus, for some unknown reason, Jack will not go to the bathroom when he is on the leash. So, I could take him on a long walk and it wouldn’t do much good. He would still come back and either go on the river porch or, heaven forbid, in the cabin.
I decided to try an experiment. I grabbed the leashes and a plastic container with their dog treats in it. I put my bug repellant on and out the door we went. The dogs were off leash, but not too far ahead of me. Periodically I would call their names, shake the treat container, and they would head back towards me. Before we reached the gate at the next cabin up river, Chloe stopped and pooped. I was very pleased and praised her. Jack trotted ahead and Chloe soon joined him, and then they were off. Nothing I did could get their attention. They were off on an adventure and had no intention of heading my way. I watched helplessly as their little tails rounded the bend and were gone from sight. I was so mad at myself for thinking I could trust them, or control them. I continued on up the road, calling their names and shaking the treat container.
Suddenly I spotted Chloe and called to her. Thankfully she headed my way and I was able to get her leash on her. I was past the second cabin up the road from ours, but not yet to the 3rd property. Jack was no where to be seen. I was worried, praying to find him, and heading down the road knowing I would not give up. Then, suddenly, Jack came running out in front of me from the driveway of the 3rd cabin. I can’t tell you how glad I was to see him. I shook the treat jar and he came running. I leashed him, gave them both treats, and headed back to the cabin. You can bet I won’t be doing that again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment