Saturday, February 16, 2008

All Beagle


31 Dec 2006 - Oh yes, Jack IS a beagle!

Apparently his first family got rid of him because they put in some expensive landscaping and Jack dug it all up. I do not know how long they had him, but considering that he will be 3 in April (I think) they probably had him for a while. His second family, the ones we got him from, had to get rid of him because they had a cat and Jack was obsessed with chasing the cat. Since the cat had been there first, Jack was the one who had to go. I think they had him just a matter of a few weeks.

A couple of days ago I made turkey sandwiches for my husband, Kent, and myself. Kent took half of his sandwich and started eating it. I was busy putting my sandwich away so I could take it to work for my dinner. I told Kent he had better put his other half sandwich away before the dog got it. Jack is a lot longer in the body and legs than Gideon (our first beagle) was and when he stands on his hind legs his nose is at counter height, and that is WITHOUT any stretching. Anyway, Kent did remove his sandwich from the counter and I did not give it any more thought. Jack was next to me as I walked about the kitchen putting away my sandwich and the stuff I had used to make it. I went to the refrigerator to put something away and as I opened it and bent down to place something on the bottom shelf, Jack, quick as lightening, snatched the top half of Kent's sandwich, which was just sitting there, not covered or in a container. I did not even know Kent had put it in there, but Jack's beagle nose detected the scent immediately. It brought me back to that time Gideon snatched our son Cole's sandwich off the kitchen table, or the other half of Kent's sandwich that time he placed it on the floor next to him while working on the VCR. HILARIOUS!

Jack likes to chew things. He has chewed on several stuffed animals around the house so we have had to move them all to the top bunk. He ate 2 ornaments off the tree too. Oh yes, Jack IS a beagle! I will continue to tell you Jack stories as they occur. This week we got him a choke chain so we can begin some sort of training with him. He is completely untrained and we have got to get him trained to make life easier for us and for him.

No comments: