Saturday, February 16, 2008

Jack & The Bonestalk

2 April 2007 – Jack and the bonestalk! (This entry was written by my husband, Kent, and sent to our son, Cole.)

You're gonna love this one.

When your mom and I stopped in Grass Valley to do some shopping, we walked to a pet food store that was in the same mall as Albertson's. (The store is called Scraps) We saw that they had a supply of buffalo bones for sale so we bought one for Jack.

We gave it to him Sunday afternoon and he spent, and this is no exaggeration, three hours knawing and attacking that bone. When he finally came up for air, I went out to retrieve it because I did not want it to become an ant project!!!!!

Lynne has set a rule that Jack gets the bone, but he takes it outside. ( Note from Mom: The reason for this rule is that I read that if you let an aggressive chewer like Jack have their bone in the house on the carpet, and the fats and flavors from the bone rub off on the carpet, they have been known to rip up the entire carpet because of the bone smell in it!) Jack does not like this because he wants to chew on it inside the house. This has become a source of entertainment to watch her "instruct" Jack that he eats the bone outside and Jack attempting to out maneuver her and try to bring the bone back inside.

This morning Jack was doing the "shake the blinds" routine to let us know he wants to go out. (He rubs up against the vertical blinds on teh sliding glass door to alert us that he wants to go outside.) I opened the slider to let him out but he just stood there looking at me. I said to Lynne that I think he wants his bone. She agreed and added, "OUTSIDE."

I got the bone and, of course, Jack started doing the beagle happy dance. I threw the bone out the door, he ran out, went past the bone, and proceeded to take care of his personal business. So obviously he was not interested in the bone - he wanted to pee. Within a few minutes, be was back at the door wanting back in.

He ran into the house and proceeded to do his spaz thing - running all over the house like a crazed lunatic. He then stopped by the slider and started barking. This time it was for the bone. I let him out and he went right for it. Immediately he turned around to bring it back in the house. I had been fast enough to close the door on him (knowing that this is exactly what he was going to do) and he stood there, bone in mouth, looking at me with the expression, "What was that for?"

However, unlike Gideon (our previous beagle), he put the bone down so he could bark his displeasure. Lynne went over to the door and proceeded to open it. As she did, he picked up the bone. Lynne told him "No bone" and closed the door. He put the bone down so he could bark, Lynne opens the door, he picks up the bone, Lynne closes the door,...... you get the picture.

Jack is ready to tear your mother's leg off. HE wants the bone and HE wants to eat it inside the house. SHE doesn't care what he wants, SHE is not letting the bone inside the house.

This is going to be an interesting (and humorous) exchange to watch.

To be continued....................................

No comments: