If you are a beagle fan you know one of the characteristics that sets beagles apart from other breeds: their obsession with food.
While reading the March 2008 issue of Oprah magazine I came across an article written by life coach and beagle owner Martha Beck. (See Oprah March 2008, pg 73-74.) Following is a quote from her article:
"Life Lesson #1: You cannot feed a beagle all it wants.
My beagle, Cookie, is wild about the golf course, where desert dog walkers like me go to avoid cacti. Cookie knows that the course is frequented by a kindly lady who gives out dog biscuits. This send him into a warbling tap dance of anticipatory joy as he lusts for food the way ... well, the way a beagle lusts for food. There's no hyperbole more extreme than that. Beagles are genetically wired to be opportunistic eaters. This is why Cookie, at 14, is basically a manatee with paws. He invariably finds more calories than he exercises away.
Sure enough, Cookie sees the Biscuit Lady! He heads toward her at a break neck waddle, begging, 'Please, missus!' he pleads, in the tremulous voice of a fat Dickensian orphan, 'please, anything...' Biscuit Lady tosses him a treat, hoping to satisfy him. Dream on. I've seen Cookie inhale a pound cake the size of his own torso and swear with his next breath that he's never, ever been fed. He simply cannot be satisfied."
I just roared with laughter when I read this because she absolutely nailed beagles and food on the head. I have also found that our beagle, Jack, does the anticipatory tap dance whenever he thinks he is about to get fed, which is any time I happen to walk into the kitchen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment